Saturday, October 24, 2009

The soothsayer...







I was walking one day, ran into a soothsayer.
Thought to myself this is the answer to my prayer.
Too much I wanted to know about tomorrow.
I wonder if it would bring me more sorrow.


I watched her from across the street.
The order to approach her didn't reach my feet.
She noticed my stares and waved me to come.
I was wondering where she came from.


I stood facing her, she eyed me and said,
What can I do for you today, kid?
I tried to get the words out but I couldn't.
I wanted to be here but I knew I shouldn't.


I wanted to ask you a question, I said.
Questions I'm still debating in my head.
Have I already gotten this shallow?
The idea of a soothsayer was hard to swallow.


Go ahead and ask I don't have all day?
Tell me what's been worrying you today?
Is it a problem with your parents or a friend?
Go ahead and tell me I can be your friend.


I swallowed my fears and then talked.
I wanted to know about the roads I've walked.
I want to know about the days that will follow,
I would like to know if they'd bring me more sorrow.


The roads you've walked were your choice, kid.
Knowing more about them won't erase what you did.
Your choices are your own responsibility.
Changing your life is in your capability.


You asked about the days that will follow,
And whether life will bring you more sorrow.
I'm afraid with this I cannot help you.
As about the future, I cannot tell you.


A piece of advice is all I can offer.
You should not lose hope ever.
Do not live in fear from tomorrow.
Do not have your life controlled by sorrow.


Think about now and try to enjoy.
There is a lot in your life to bring in joy.
Don't waste your time on yesterday.
Plan for tomorrow and enjoy today.


You're too young to live in sorrow.
It's never good to give up on tomorrow.
Whatever it brings you, you should face.
Face it with courage, faith and grace.


Thank you so much for your advice, I said.
A million thought going through my head.
She was right in every word she said.
Over the past, I should no longer dread.


I got up and started to walk away.
Thinking this stranger just made my day.
She sure gave me a lot to think about,
From this moment on, I will not live in doubt.




1 comment:

  1. This is truly truly beautiful. I enjoyed it and came to understand the implicit meaning.

    ReplyDelete

It's my pleasure to read your comment :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails